Monday, May 14, 2012

What's the story here?

The food movement is a movement in support of good food.  It is not a vegetarian or vegan or strict scary diet.  It is about good food and access to it.  It is obvious to some, and not others, that we have a serious problem with food in this country.  Our poorer citizens no longer starve, they suffer from diabetes and obesity, and even in a wealthy town it can be hard to find fresh produce that has not been smothered with chemicals.  Our food system needs some revision.  I am not a firm subscriber to the idea that we are to vote with our money and buy organic food, nor do I want to leave this movement up to politicians.  There is a middle ground.  We can change how we eat and advocate for a change in the system at the same time.  That is what I aim to do in this blog, I want to entice you to eat better, tastier food and join the movement in any way you can.

My first semester at UC Merced, I was assigned the book "Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan.  I started to read it but found the unending complaints about corn in our food system to be overwhelming.  Now that I have been introduced to good food more slowly and have been able to learn more and more about our food system and the food movement, I am voluntarily reading the same book.  With this blog, I hope to give people a starting point to understanding the food movement and why it is important.  I have changed the way that I do things because of what I have learned, but I have a long way to go before my life is sustainable.  I hope to give you some simple and fun alternatives to the way that many of us live.  I want to share knowledge, help others, and gain more knowledge.  I have learned that the only thing that I can truly change is myself.  It does no good to tell you to stop eating corn-fed beef if I don't do it myself.  For this reason, this blog will be a documentation of my own journey to a sustainable lifestyle.  I plan to write from that perspective, and the solutions that I find may only work for me.  But I hope you use the information I give to find solutions that work for you as well. I hope to give as many reverences and sources for the information that I post as possible, but some of it is more along the lines of common sense. I hope to share my journey and help you with yours.  I hope you enjoy this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment